Monday, March 21, 2011

Some weekend sewing

I managed to get a bit of weekend sewing in and cut in to my newer layer cake by Moda called "Just Wing It!" by MoMo.


I was really excited to cut this up.  I used my "Quick Curve Ruler", and cut this up in about 45 minutes!  


I pieced them all together and that took about 2 1/2 hours.  Then I ironed and squared them up which took about 2 hours.  I also wanted to share how to square up a block.  I actually didn't know how to do this for a few years after I started quilting.  

This particular block needs to be squared up to a 7" x 9" rectangle.
 
Wonky block:  my blocks are wonky because I do not pin my curves before sewing them together

line up square-up ruler so block is centered within the 7" x 9" grid rectangle

 cut off right and top edges

flip block..you can now line up the two sides you just cut off perfectly on the 7" x 9" grid lines 

cut off right and top edges

see..wonky edges cut off

now you have a perfect 7" x 9" rectangle block

 this particular block needs to be centered by the oval shape a particular way, but I won't get into that now, not until my ruler is out.  But this gives general instructions on how to square up.



I loved all the colors of my scraps and didn't want to throw them away just yet..so I bottled them up!

All my block's squared!

..so then I layed them out on the floor into the design that I had planned and will have to say I was little disappointed.  We'll see.  I'm still going to put it together and hope it still works when I'm all done?

-Jenny-

4 comments:

Pam said...

love your bottle scraps and the linen color you chose for the backround....

RG said...

Oh Jenny I love what you're doing here!!
Love Momo's fabrics and designs.
Thanks for sharing the squaring up method... a good idea.
Can't wait to see what you do next :D

Andie Johnson said...

Have I mentioned that I'm gonna need that ruler? Hurry up with it already! Can't wait to use it and make your curvy quilt blocks!

Melissa P said...

Your squared up peice looks like a vase, it might be cool to make a quilt using the ruler and then making applique flowers or something coming out of the tops..... just an idea :)