Tuesday, April 12, 2016

Jenny's Quilt Studio Tour

I've been wanting to share pictures of my Quilt Studio here on our blog and when the sun came out today, I hurried and cleaned up my studio and took some pictures of it. 


My old quilting space was something that was not to be desired for!  It had no natural light...no ceiling...no space...no flooring...and I shared it with spiders and the occasional rat, but on a good note I was able to do laundry in between each quilting pass!  


...so when it came time to design my potential new studio, I knew I wanted everything I didn't have in my current studio space.  


My dreams became reality and my studio is everything I've always wanted!

  
We put in 5 windows to add tons of natural light.  That was #1 on the must have list.  I also found the perfect cutting table.  It's tall enough and actually has a leaf if I want to open it up and make it bigger. 


I love my sewing/computer space.  In order for us to create a lower sewing counter we needed a lower cabinet base.  I found two end tables at TJ Max which worked perfect and gave me more storage space.


I wanted lots of space for my fabric and these cubicles were perfect.  It took some effort to find enough baskets but managed to find and buy out all of them at 4 different Lowe's stores.  The baskets make for perfect storage.


I love my little pressing station.  My DIY ironing board is always set up and ready for when I need it!  I had a light bulb moment one day when I thought of changing our unused wall table to my quilting ironing board.  I painted it...we then drilled about 250 holes in the top to allow steam to escape...and then stapled double batting and upholstered fabric to the table top.  


We added this slat board for my longarm supplies and love how it keeps it all organized and visible.  


I also knew I wanted a place for the kids to sit and hangout.  I looked long and hard for the perfect couch and finally found this one at Ikea. ...and the TV is a must!


In order for us to free up more space in my studio, my husband cut down my longarm quilting table from 14 feet down to 10 feet and our handy friend welded it back together.  
 

 We ended up getting a pellet stove for our heating source.  We haven't used it yet but I think we are going to love it come winter.  The last studio project was putting up my design wall, a must have in any quilt studio!   

Hope you enjoyed my little quilt studio tour.  I loved sharing it with you today!

~Jenny~

35 comments:

KaHolly said...

Oh, wow! I'm so envious! Congratulations on a marvelous job!

Ali Honey said...

You have heaps of room and light. That looks ideal!

Linda twilleager said...

It's so beautiful! So glad you get to create in such a wonderful space, what a gift:)

Unknown said...

I love your new studio. May I ask where you got that fabulous cutting table?

April's Creations NC said...

lovely thanks for sharing

April's Creations NC said...

lovely thanks for sharing

Emi said...

The flooring is fantastic! (Among other things that are fantastic!)

Mary Bolton said...

Thanks for sharing your inspiring work space.

Peggyinno said...

What a beautiful studio! I LOVE the organization! And those floors!! Congrats on a great space!

Danice G said...

Wow is correct. I absolutely love your dream studio. Every amenity + more. And so well lighted and stylish to boot. Thank you so much for sharing your space with us.

Heide said...

What a fantastic space! Thanks for sharing.

MariQuilts said...

Looks so fabulous, Jenny!!!! It looks so fresh and beautiful besides being functional. Love that flooring!!!

Leeanne said...

Gorgeous!! So light and airy and so much 'breathing room'. I would love to have a set up like this for my long arm business. Best wishes and enjoy!

Melia Mae Quilting said...

Your quilting space is just gorgeous! Enjoy every moment in there. You did an amazing job!

Barb Neiwert said...

Okay, Jenny. Take a look at all these photos and tell me What's Wrong With This Picture? Answer: I don't see a single stray thread loose anywhere! Seriously, it's a terrific space and you'll be able to be so creative with everything you need right at hand. Very interesting that you cut down the frame/table for your long arm. You must have just cut off the track system on two ends? Enjoy!

KeyQuilter said...

omg! you mean "regular people" can cut the gammill table down? I need to cut down a 14' to a 12'. could you send me a picture of where they welded it? PLEASE?

Janet said...

I enjoyed looking through the photos. Your pictures have given me inspiration. Thanks for sharing.









Lee Ann L. said...

Wow! It looks nice, clean and organized! Unlike my own studio. :-) I love it (yours)! :-)

Rike Busch said...

O M G!!! That's a real quilter heaven on earth!!! I would LOVE to work there. :D
i wish you so much fun and hours of creativity!
Greetings from Germany,
Rike

Melissa Corry said...

Your studio looks absolutely stunning!!! I am sure you are going to have so much fun creating in such a beautiful place!!

Unknown said...

Thanks for sharing your wonderful ideas. My husband is getting ready to add my sewing/quilting studio on to our house and you have given me some great organizing ideas. I already have cubicles from IKEA and I love your cutting table.

Linda said...

that is exactly the cutting table I need. Where did you find it--who makes it?

Anonymous said...

O M G! What a stunning room! Thank you so much for sharing. We just finished building a sewing studio and you just gave me an idea for one area of my studio! Absolutely stunning! Enjoy your dream studio!

Unknown said...

Wow, it's gorgeous, Jenny! I'm so happy for you that you have a great space. It's well deserved!

Terrie D. (StarSpry) said...

What a beautiful studio! Thank you for the tour :)

Katie M. said...

"good things come to those who wait" and your quilting studio is awesome! I love that you managed to make your studio a place where family could also be comfortable...

Carol K said...

Great studio. I'm so happy for you. Enjoy!!

LeKaQuilt said...

Thank you for the tour :) I love your studio !

Susan P said...

Wow, what a great place to sew and create! Two questions, where did you get the cutting table and what is the construction of your design wall? If you wouldn't mind sharing.

Sandy Panagos said...

Thanks for the tour. Your space is fabulous!

Marie said...

Oh my gosh - why would you ever leave this space? Perfection! You will have so much fun here!!

FlourishingPalms said...

It all looks wonderful, Jenny, just as it should, given your handle! :-) is this space an addition to your home? With your talent, it's well deserved. Enjoy many fun and productive hours in your ideal new space.

Muhv said...

Perfect place! I envy, in a good way of course :)

roxi said...

what a wonderful space! Love all the windows & especially love the flooring!!! thanks for sharing!

AnneMarie said...

Jenny,
I love your quilt studio. It is absolutely beautiful. The colors you chose for the walls and floor are wonderful and the layout is perfection. A great room, like a little piece of heaven. Well done!
Anne