Thursday, September 19, 2013

The Perfect Batting

I feel like I've been on the hunt for "the perfect batting" for a long...long time!  Everytime I go to Quilt Market, I check out the Batting Company booths in hopes to come across
"the perfect batting".  

I've tried lot's of different batting's and every kind of combination of batting's you can think of.  

My idea of a perfect batting would be a bleached, with a 1/4 loft but still have some weight to it.  So while I was at the local fabric store today to pick up some thin polyester batting to double up with a warm and white batting (not my favorite combo but better than double warm and white because of the weight),  I came across a bleached batting by Pellon, 50/50 cotton and poly.  Oh my gosh!! I got so excited!  Did I actually find the "the perfect batting"?

Here it is and I hope like heck that I'm going to love it and my batting issues will be solved!!

I've loaded my "Medallion Quilt" back on to the longarm and can't wait to test this batting out!  My only fear is....skipped stitches.  My machine tends to do that with 100% poly batting's.  Hopefully the 50% cotton will be just enough to trick my fussy longarm!  Hopefully!

~Jenny~

10 comments:

Cascade Quilts said...

oooh, can't wait to hear! I love the warm/white cotton batting, but it's just really a bit too light in one layer and I'm too cheap to double it up! Hoping this one is thicker and warmer/heavier than W&W alone!

Lorette said...

Anxious for your opinion on this one!

Denise said...

I'm excited to hear how it works out! I'm on the hunt for perfect batting also, so far I like Hobbs 80/20 with an added layer of bamboo...

Auntie Pami said...

I like Dream, but I'm open to change

Unknown said...

I think we all look for perfect batting to solve problems, glad you are sharing. BUT, I'm more excited to see you work on the Medallion quilt, mine is waiting and calling out to be finished :)
Michelle

Pam said...

we will all be interested to hear how it comes out. I have had good luck with other Pellon battings. did you find it at JoAnn?

Claudia said...

Yes, can't wait to hear how it goes..I too am looking for the batting that I really will like. I am NOT liking the 100% cotton...it really ruined a quilt I made.
Please keep us posted !

Unknown said...

I made the switch over to Pellon 50/50 a few months back. I love it!!! I also really like the Pellon cotton/scrim I find it great for machine quilting.

Unknown said...

I have always been in "pain" when it comes to batting. So many choices to make and what if I make the wrong one! Jenny where did you find the Pellon 50/50? Like Michelle, my medallions are crying out to get quilted on. You have given me some ideas. Thanks ladies :D

Unknown said...

Hello! The Warm Company has many different types of batting to chose from and the best part is we give out free samples, just for situations like these! We have a blended 50/50 called Warm Blend as well as a light and fluffy 80/20 called Warm Bond. We also have a new product coming out called Warm & Plush that is a thicker cotton batting. 6 OZ per square yard of 100% ultra-clean, natural cotton!

Please feel free to email me with any questions - abby@warmcompany.com

Thank you!