Tuesday, May 29, 2012

My 31 Day Challenge

Okay...hopefully I can put my thoughts in words today without coming across negative or stressed or overwhelmed.  I just simply need to motivate myself and give myself a big kick in the you know what!!

So...this, is what my quilt room looks like right now!


I am a longarm quilter and started quilting professionally about 5 years ago.  When I started, it was my everything!  I slept it, I dreamed it, I lived it and I loved it!  I loved the challenge part of it!   I've met some absolutely amazing quilters along the way and have learned so much from them and have learned so much about quilting in general.  

Then....I sort of ventured off from longarm quilting as being my passion and started designing my own quilt patterns.  Now I will admit that this has become my everything!  I sleep it, I dream it, I live it and I love it!  

Problem is, I've come to find out that it's very...very...difficult to do both and of course, I can't leave out my biggest passion of all, my family.  So, with everything that has happened this last year, I've come to the realization that I need to slow down, focus, eliminate and prioritize.  

....so, what am I getting at??  I currently have customer quilts, on the floor, on the desk, hanging up....and it's not because I have calls pouring in of quilters wanting me to quilt their quilts, it's because I've been averaging, quilting up about 1 quilt a week for the last who knows how long and that is why I have so many quilts right now.  About 23ish.

  I've got so many quilt designs and blog post idea's, I so badly want to do and share with you, but I can't and I won't, until ALL of my customer quilts are finished.  

Today is May 28th and in exactly 1 month I'm challenging myself to quilt ALL of my customer quilts,  I will share my progress daily.  If you don't know the life of a longarm quilter right before Christmas time...well you'll soon get an insight of what it's like for us.  This month, will be very similar.  

I will not be posting anything about piecing, designing, fabric love, fabric color obsessions or anything of the sort....but I will be posting pictures of my progress on my customer quilts.  

Please don't take this post the wrong way, I really do look forward to quilting all these quilts up and some are custom and I always love the challenge!  This is simply motivation!  I hope it's enough to help me focus and get some much need quilting done for some very patient quilters!!


This is Annette's quilt and it's slowly coming along.  I need to do the binding for her and then I can take them both over to her.  This is 1 of 2 hexi quilts she did up, that I'm quilting for her.

If you've had the patience to read all of this, thanks!!  

Prepare yourselves for a massive overload of longarm quilting in the next 31 days!!  

It's going to be fun!!

Then, after all my hard work, I look forward to sharing with you some fun things I have planned with the Quick Curve Ruler!!

~Jenny~


49 comments:

Pat Merkle said...

Well, I for one, LOVE looking at your quilting! So bring it on.

Now, that is not to say, I don't LOVE your quilt designs, because I do!

As a matter of fact, I've been working on my Urban Nine Patch. I'll challenge myself to finish that in 31 days - pieced, quilted and bound. I know it's not quite fair to challenge 1 against 23, but it's the best I can do!

Good Luck!

marcella said...

I'm excited! I love your quilting posts and find them very inspiring. I've been wanting to quilt feathers FOREVER on a border but just haven't been brave enough. When you posted the borders of that hexi quilt last week that was just the inspiration to do it that I needed.

Teresa Silva said...

I can't wait to see all you quilt. Good luck to you!

Kristine said...

Go Jenny, I understand the feeling of when a passion becomes a chore. You wonder how you ever found the time to do what you once did. Good luck with getting those lovely quilts finished.keep motivated by that big window of time you'll free up to show us more lovely curved creations.

Denise said...

Go Jenny! You can do it!!! Thank you for sharing your motivation...I've got several custom quilts lined up (piecing, quilting , binding...all of it!)and now that school is out and my part-time job there is on vacation I need to get a move on! The last quilt took me 8 weeks to complete! I need a kick, too!!!

Leanne said...

I so love seeing your quilting, I will watch carefully as you go. I do understand the lack of time to do all you want to do and hopefully you will find a good balance.
ps. when you use white letters in your post they don't show up in Google reader, just so you know.

Lynn said...

Oh good! I'm finishing up a special quilt and I need ideas for how to quilt it. Looking forward to watching your progress. Good luck!

Aunt Marti said...

You go, girl! You can do it! I will light a candle for you -- and I'm committing to quilting ONE quilt (hey, I just got my longarm a month ago, I'm a beginner) during the next 30 days. Let
s swap photos!

Esther said...

You go girl! Good for you, and you will feel such a weight lifted when you get them all finished. And, we all love seeing your quilting, so bring it on.

Maureen said...

It sounds like you have a good plan Jenny. When your mind & soul feel uncluttered, you can accomplish so much more. You can do it!!! And I love the inspiration we see in your quilting. So go ahead, quilt away!

The Invisible Woman said...

Bring it on!

: )

jeanne e. said...

good luck! i am looking forward to your progress...from what i have seen so far of your long-arm quilting, you are wonderful!

Vic H. said...

Smart move...finish those quilts up and then slow up taking customer quilts so you can focus on your pattern business!! And raise your prices so you can work less and make the same amt of money on your quilting--it is worth it!! There is a whole world of opportunities open to you now (think fabric design...books, etc). Good luck!!!

diane said...

I LOVE to see your quilting, Jenny! It's easy to become overloaded when we have so many plans and goals, so I think it's great that you have the courage to figure out what you need, commit to it, and then DO IT! I look forward to seeing all your beautiful work!

CitricSugar said...

Best of luck! Remember to breathe and take breaks every now and then, 'kay? :-)

Donana said...

I am not disappointed with your news. Actually I can't wait to see what you're going to show us. How exciting! I wish you luck.

KristaKay said...

You are amazing! I am proud of you for posting it, for declaring it and for giving us all permission to hold you accountable. :)
I know you can do it!

Dora, the Quilter said...

Go for it! I will *love, love, love* seeing every one!

lvkwilt said...

I don't think you're complaining at all...just stressed. Once you get caught up with the quilting, you'll be able to enjoy the designing, etc. I love your quilting and I know that every one of those customers has been willing to wait for your artistry. I especially love that you're doing the two hexagon quilts. They are wonderful!

Kathy Schwartz said...

Go Jenny Go!!!

I think that is a very realistic goal you have set for yourself and by posting your progress that should keep you motivated too.

MariQuilts said...

Yikes...that's a lot of quilting, just remember to take care of yourself along the way.

Ramona said...

Change is tough but it is very good when you realize a change needs to be made. Good luck this month. We'll wait for the new stuff.

Molly said...

You go girl! I'm excited to see the quilts as you finish them--your longarm work is fabulous!

Melissa said...

Good luck!!! I can't wait to see your progress every day.

A.M. Gwynn said...

Good for you Jenny!
Stick to it!

I think it is hard as women sometimes to step back and slow down a little. It is hard too when you are extremely creative to squeeze enough hours out of the day for everything in your creative field of vision.

We will all still be here waiting, believe me! :0)

Pam said...

go jenny go!! good luck...xoxox

Abby / Linda said...

I'm ready for the adventure! Let me see your life--I'd literally love to have a longarm quilter! This should be wonderful!

Razzle Dazzle Quilter said...

You can NEVER show too many quilts and I will never get tired of looking at your stitching,
Bring it on!!
Cheers
Linda

Theresa said...

I love seeing your quilting, you work some serious magic with your machine. Good luck with your challenge :)

Unknown said...

Good move Jenny - overload and anxiety can be detrimental in all of your loves, so it is best to focus on one then you are free to embrace the others with renewed passion.

Over this next month I will be looking forward to the quilting designs and inspiration you'll be sharing with us all.

Anonymous said...

Good luck Jenni! I totally get what your saying about focus. Not a negative post at all...just a post from a lovely lady! Now go quilt!!

Unknown said...

I understand and look forward to seeing your progress. You have motivated me to finish the customer quilts waiting for me too. Thanks!

Julia Graber said...

I'll look forward to seeing the magic you perform on your customer quilts.

Leah said...

31 days of excitement! Can't wait! :)

Cascade Quilts said...

ooooh! 31 day challenge = 31 days of loveliness for us! Yay!

Lisbeth said...

I agree with everyone else who's excited to see your quilting. Besides, personal challenges like this are so invigorating - good for you!

Sheila said...

No such thing as an overload of longarm quilting for the viewer ;). Just don't burn out on it, so we can continue to view the loveliness in the future as well.

I love your challenge, and it may just move me to touch my sewing machine again. I'm only 5 UFOs behind for the year!

Kasia said...

Your challenge is an excellent idea and motivator ! Good luck! I'm excited to see all your quilting methods!

Amanda said...

I'm really interested in seeing how your challenge goes. It's been in the back of my mind to get a long arm, but I'm not really sure if I really want to or not. So I'll be paying close attention on how it goes for you. :)

vivian said...

Cheering you on!

Molly said...

I cannot wait to see them all! Sometimes it is hard to lock yourself up in your quilt room!

Natalia from Piece N Quilt said...

Go for it Jenny! I get where you're coming from! Go for your passion! Life is always evolving so go with it!! :) I'm so excited for you!

Leeanne said...

Fun!! Good luck!

Leanne said...

I know exactly what you mean...my cupboard is overflowing too.
I can't wait to see them all and you have inspired me to get my butt into gear as well...
Cheers Leanne xo

Alycia~Quiltygirl said...

Its kind of like New Years Resolutions in the middle of the year - I think that is smart.

I wish you lots of progress in your goals!!!

Mama Pea said...

Good luck! I can totally relate. I can get really focused on my quilting, when I need to be really focused on my day job!

Maggie A said...

Good for you - but how on earth are you going to do it if one quilt takes 1 week......are they all custom? Let me know your secret and I'll give it a go too!!!!

Klb61751 said...

I love your blog. I look forward to reading it every morning. I am so inspired by your piecing and quilting. I quilt on a domestic machine and wish I had your skills!

helen-mary said...

Heh, I hear ya. I hate (!) being behind schedule. Also hate the Christmas schedule. :-) Love your quilting.