Saturday, April 16, 2011

Hooded Towel Tutorial

You need a towel, hand towel and ribbon about 18" long.

For the hood, cut the hand towel in half.

Sew the ribbon across the smooth part of the towel.

Make sure to sew down the sides too.
Fold over and sew top edge.  Depending on the towel...I stitched two lines on the fold.

This is what it looks like on the front.
Fold towel in half and cut an arc out of the corner.

Turn inside out and stitch along the edge just cut.  I stitched twice to reinforce it.

This is what it looks like turned right side out.


The top edge here in the picture is what gets sewed to the towel.





Find the center of the long edge of the towel.

Pin the center of the hood to the center of the towel edge.

Make two pleats on each side of the pinned center.

Pin the pleats and the edges two the towel.  Then sew on.  I sew twice to reinforce it and make sure to back stitch on the edges.

As you can see when doing it this way with a hand towel instead of a wash rag, gives you a nice big hood.  My 12 year old still wears her yellow hooded towel from when she was a baby!

This is my 9 year old.  The hood fits very nice on her cute little head.

11 comments:

Luci said...

Thanks for the tutorial! Would it be okay if I link to it on my blog, Thymely Stitches? One photo would be nice too. Thanks!

Pam said...

This is a great gift idea...thanks Jenny, I love the gray!!!!

Aunt 'Reen said...

Thank you so much for the wonderful tutorial!
I will have to make a few of these for my new grandson!

KJ@letsgoflyakite said...

Great job! hooded towels were my favourite gift and also a favourite gift to give. I have that exact ribbon and what a great use for it.

Anonymous said...

Thanks for sharing this. I am a beginning sewer and this was very easy to follow. The pictures are great. I needed them.

Anonymous said...

Thanks for this tutorial. It was very easy to understand and your pictures were very helpful. :)

Candle Business said...

Perfect! My 3YO has a hooded towel and his little brother is getting too big for the baby towels, this is on my to-do list. Found you on Pinterest, thank you for sharing!

haseena107 said...

Hi, I have some questions please. I want to make this although I have never sewn before. This tutorial is the easiest I have seen to follow with the photos of the end product that look so professional.
Do u have any specific measurements to get the shape of the hood that u cut out?
I have some microfiber towels that don't have a harsh edge. Would it affect the design or end product to skip the fold over and sewing the end of the towel?
Thanks for ur tutorial and any help u can offer
Please reply. Nicknow-web@yahoo.com

Unknown said...

gorgeous i think this is best towels collection i have ever seen really amazing work done by you. i am also searching for some towels wholesale as well. thanks for sharing such a nice post

Unknown said...

Thank you for the tutorial. I have made 3 of them so far. I just add embroidery to the bottom edge

Kathy said...

Thanks for the great idea. I've made lots of hooded towels for babies but this will be great for my 3-year old grandson. Pics were really helpful.