Thursday, November 3, 2011

Glue ~ Binding Tip

Finally....took this off my machine yesterday!  Once again....wasn't sure about the quilting, but when I had it draped over my chair and saw it in the natural light I loved how it turned out!  I couldn't resist and had to take a picture ;o)



 

I do have a bit of snipping to do on the back though ;o(

And of course the binding to finish up!



...now for the glue ~ binding tip!!!!
My sister told me about this about a week ago, and after finishing up Sharon's quilt yesterday, thought I'd try it out.


Sharon wanted me to do the binding on her quilt.  I always attach the binding to the front of the quilt while the quilt is still on my longarm, then I after I take the quilt off, I press it with an iron on the top and then press it over to the back.  This helps me, when stitching in the ditch on the top to catch the back.  But this time I put just a little strip of glue on the back before pressing the binding.  The binding adhered to the glue and completely stayed down for me!  As you can see in the picture above.


The glue washes out, but you couldn't even tell it was under the binding at all.  I just used a really thin strip.  When I stitched the binding down, it was so slick!  I'm definitely doing this for now on!!  I love new discoveries to make things just a bit easier!  Thanks sister! 

~Jenny~

14 comments:

**nicke... said...

that is one awesome awesome awesome tip! i can't wait to try it out also! love the quilting on that quilt. very pretty.

Pat Merkle said...

Your quilting is awesome, as always. Love the glue trick, I'll have to try that out!

JustPam said...

Your quilting is beautiful. I tried the glue trick when I first started machine sewing my binding. For me it was extra work and the quality of the binding didn't benefit. My binding has improved, but I want to take it to the next level. Maybe I will give the glue a try again and see if I can't get things lined up better. Thanks for the reminder about the glue.

CJ said...

I've been using the glue for awhile now and I love it! No pins or clips to get tangled in if you sew the binding on by hand.

Teresa Silva said...

I love how your quilt turned out. Can't wait to see the full version of it!

MariQuilts said...

I'll have to try that....Your quilt looks amazing.

Megan said...

Thanks for the tip on the glue! I have a quilt that will (hopefully) be ready for binding SOON. And it's a much bigger quilt than what I'm used to, so machine binding is awfully appealing. I'll definitely try the glue.

Unknown said...

Another super quilt Jenny - and I love the glue/binding method and use it all the time

Pam said...

helen has the best tips.....xoxox

Char said...

Great tip! Do you think it would work with a glue stick?

Ulla's Quilt World said...

Hi! Greetings from Finland! I love your quilts! They are so stunning!
It’s so nice to find other quilters all around the world!

Tammy Vasser said...

Lovin' your citron and grey quilt!

Robin said...

What a gorgeous quilt! I love the design, and the black/white/aqua combo just feels so fresh and happy. And the quilting... wow. Just wow. :)

Lisa said...

thanks for the glue tip! Great idea!